3i has fewer than 300 employees worldwide and has a relatively small footprint in terms of environmental impact. We operate from a network of nine offices across the world, however two thirds of our employees are based in our London office. All our offices are leased.
We are committed to minimising our environmental impact and to improving our environmental performance wherever possible. We have an Environmental Management System that is proportionate to the operational scale and environmental risk profile of our business.
Our strategy is to:
- meet the requirements of all environmental legislation that applies to 3i in the UK;
- minimise waste and maximise recycling in our UK office;
- work with our landlords to ensure the energy efficiency of our offices;
- include environmental considerations in our procurement processes;
- measure our carbon footprint annually, and publish the results in our Company reports and on our website; and
- report to two external publicly disclosed benchmarking indices and use our performance in these benchmarking indices to assess and improve future performance; this year we have chosen the CDP and the Robeco Sam Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
During the year to 31 March 2016, our measured Scope 1 and 2 emissions (location-based) totalled 1,106.6 tCO2e. This comprised:
1 Emissions from the consumption of electricity outside the UK and emissions from purchased electricity calculated using the market-based approach using supplier-specific emission factors are reported in tCO2 rather than tCO2e due to the availability of emissions factors.
This is equivalent to 4.0 tCO2e per full-time equivalent employee, based on an average of 276 employees during the year (2015: 4.2 tCO2e; 271 employees). We have restated the emissions figures for the year to 31 March 2015 to reflect improved data collection. Overall our Scope 1 and 2 emissions decreased by 3% in the year. The methodology is described in our Corporate responsibility report.
Our emissions have been verified by an external third party according to the ISO 14064-3 standard.